Working together on NM09 support and cleaning Solid::Control

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Thu May 19 01:48:50 CEST 2011

Em Wednesday 18 May 2011, Will Stephenson escreveu:
> To begin, 4.7.0 isn't an important deadline for this, since we can easily
> carry out my #1 (it doesn't matter what the branch it is in is called) and
> distros can ship that alongside 4.7.0 to support NM 0.8 with the status
> quo. Use of NM09 in distros is more interesting and the only distro to
> have shipped in (Fedora) has already done so and has it own solution. The
> next round of distro releases comes in the autumn by which time our NM09
> support will be complete.

	Seasons of the year is not usually used to indicate time here in the
south hemisphere :-), autumn for you would be November, right?

	Just an example of seasons as indicative of time problem, in the
northeast of Brazil what people there call "inverno" (winter in English) is
the summer season in Brazil. "Inverno" for them is the rain season (summer in
Brazil) and "verão" (summer in English) is the dry season (winter in Brazil).

> Assuming that our NM 0.9 support in the libnm-qt/solid::control/*nm09 layer
> is similar, just class renames and the new dbus API, the amount of work in
> either approach is about the same, and leaves us with less code in 4.7 to
> maintain than in 4.6, rather than more (in your approach).  That's my
> analysis. Where do you see the extra workload?

	Ok, so who would do the actual conversion from Solid::Control to libnm-
qt? You are the most qualified for that. Could you do it? How much time it
would take?

> > I have spent more time than I should have
> > in Plasma NM, some things in my life had been postponed to make that
> > happen.
>
> I reviewed all the commits of the last year recently and you've been doing
> amazing work yourself and in integrating others' work.  I'm personally very
> grateful for your personal sacrifices to make this happen.  I'm aware that
> you're starting a new job and will not have time, which is why I'm stepping
> up to help again.

	I already started it. It is more like a freelance job, I can work at
home, which by the way is in another city from where the company I am doing
this job for is located. I have a schedule to follow, today I have delivered
the first milestone, now I have to do the second milestone. I also had to stop
my studyings (I am self-learning person) to spent time in Plasma NM. In July I
am going to apply to public service (an exam, similar to the ones some
universites do to accept students), but I have not been able to study during
the last month.

> I don't want to go back to working on KNM alone but I do want to get the
> codebase clean and maintainable as we add NM09 support by implementing the
> plan from the Solid meeting.

	We are not alone. Ilia Kats has been helping me a lot in the last month,
he fixed the ad-hoc/connection sharing problem, implemented the IPv6 support
and fixed several other bugs. Rajeesh K Nambiar and Rafael Fernández López
also helps me from time to time and now Lukas Tinkl is helping us. We just
need to know how to use libnm-qt.

> >         #1 should be based in nm09 instead of master in my oppinion. In
> >         the
> >
> > future we will need to branch master to nm08 and move the NM-0.9 code to
> > master, but not now.
>
> Ok, just a branch name, we can do it either way around.

	Is Plasma NM able to connect to wifi using libnm-qt? If we are going to
use it we need it commited to nm09 branch as soon as possible.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm