Working together on NM09 support and cleaning Solid::Control

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Wed May 18 16:09:47 CEST 2011

(CCing Lamarque and Lukas as it's important that they see this, hardware-devel
for info)

I read Lamarque's blog [1] about adding NM09 support.  For the last 2 weeks
I've been working on NM09 support too [2].  Unfortunately I didn't announce
this URL because I wanted to have something to show other than words.

My work consists of

1. workspace/solid/networkmanager-0.7 branched as a personal clone
1.1 renamed to libnm-qt
1.2 made a standalone lib instead of a backend for Solid::Control
2. Ported to NM 0.9 DBUS API and removed compatibility code
3. Merged in e/b/networkmanagement/solidcontrolfuture classes
4. Rename most classes to match NM naming

and

5. Start of porting e/b/networkmanagement to libnm-qt (not yet pushed).

The reason for 1.* is to allow us to flatten and remove Solid::Control from
workspace/libs as agreed at the Solid meeting last October.

This is equivalent to steps 1 through 3 of Lamarque's work.

It's regrettable that we both started working on the same feature at the same
time without telling each other so I'd like us to agree on a common way to
proceed before investing any more development time in this.

My proposal:
1. Branch master as the pre09 branch and copy libs/solid/control and backend
into it.
1.1 Tell downstreams not shipping NM09 to use this
2. Remove Solid::Control from workspace
3. Merge Lamarque's work into libnm-qt
4. Port networkmanagement to libnm-qt
5. Remove redundant abstractions
6. Remove last kde-isms and push a Qt-only libnm-qt to NM git

This will give us a clean codebase and end the problem that workspace is tied
to particular NM releases.

What do you think?

Will

[1] http://lamarque-lvs.blogspot.com/2011/05/plasma-nm-nm-09.html