Added user connection support to systemwide branch

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 02:30:41 CET 2011

Em Thursday 24 March 2011, Andrey Borzenkov escreveu:
> I added initial user connections support on top of gokcen branch; it
> is available for review here:
>
> git://anongit.kde.org/clones/networkmanagement/borzenkov/networkmanagement
> in branch systemwide

	Is gokcen still working on networkmanagent code?

> Branch is merged with current master (sans couple of latest commits).
> User connections seem to work as well as displaying systemwide
> connections. I have not yet really tested write support for systemwide
> as our default system plugin does not support writing (not really at
> least).

	What do you mean by "default system plugin"? Do you mean the plugins line
in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file? I still do not understand
exactly how that works.

> I had to step back from initial design which was aimed at unifying
> system and user connection and fetching all of them from kded via
> dbus. One issue for me is authorization - user settings service is on
> system bus, so adding Update method to it need to somehow validate
> user. Another - it required a bit more knowledge of (KDE) D-Bus
> implementation than I have right now :) So I just added back direct
> connection loading, moving it a bit up into connection widget.

	The current code for user connections already asks for users secrets
(username, password, encryption key, etc) even with NM's user settings
interface residing in the system bus. Can't you try to reuse that code? What
do you need to know about KDE's DBus implementation? KDE programs usually uses
Qt DBus module directly or create a wrap around it, like Solid::Control::*
classes. I usually use Qt DBus documenation when I need.

> User connections are actually relatively good localized - there are
> just two entry points: kded and connections widget. The latter looks
> absolutely ugly, but I wanted to have working prototype before
> starting to clean it up.
>
> I would like to ask whether this *may* be accepted. I am not sure how
> to prepare patch got reviewboard; may be patch relative to merge point
> is OK?

	I think a patch relative to git://anongit.kde.org/networkmanagement
master head would be simpler for someone to apply it and test.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm