Review Request: Support for importing/exporting OpenVPN connections

Ilia Kats ilia-kats at gmx.net
Tue Jul 26 23:02:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just tested it with vpnc, nm-applet then adds X-NM-Routes=route1
route2 to the file. Note however that the routes consist only of
destination/prefix, no gateway or metric are saved (looking at the
exporter source, this is by design). In total the vpnc plugin knows the
following additinal entries:  X-NM-Use-NAT-T, X-NM-Force-NAT-T,
X-NM-SaveGroupPassword, X-NM-Routes. So no static IPs or DNS servers so
far, although additional X-NM-entries couldn't do much harm if we were
to add them ourselves. The OpenVPN plugin does not appear to be able to
handle anything apart from the VPN specific settings. However, as
comments in OpenVPN files definitely exist and are prefixed with # or ;,
it shoud be possible to add routing, DNS and IP export/import ourselves.

Ilia