"enable networking" patch, bug #238325

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Sep 16 15:47:00 CEST 2010

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:28:29 Jirka Klimes wrote:
> There were many problems due to using a single knob for two different
> things: i.e. sleep/wake used both for suspend/resume and user
> enable/disable stuff.
>
> That's why now the states are separated and sleep/wake is dedicated just
> for suspend cases and Enable is meant for user enablement/disablement
> usage. Moreover, Sleep is now protected via PolicyKit and is available
> just for root by default.
> See commit:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=65818d
> 517e386c03daca08db4be7b53aff94359a
>
> That means that without the patches "Enable networking" checkbox in the
> plasmoid won't work for NM after 30.5.2010. Of course, there is a
> workaround to enable the sleep for normal users:
> Set allow_active to yes for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep-wake
> action in
> /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy However,
> that would go against the intended functionality and applying patches is
> much better to keep track of upstream NM, IMO.
>
> >        Please change this slot to use the parameter enabled instead of
> >        doing a solid call, the parameter is there for that reason:

> Updated patch included in the kde #238325, thanks.

Thanks (also for taking the time to explaining to the ignorant me). The patch
looks good, you can commit it. (If you don't have an SVN account yourself,
either Rex or I can do it, just let me know. The patch is indeed correct, as
you state, the checkbox in the plasmoid should control the user enable /
disable.

Cheers,
--
sebas