System-wide connection support

Gökçen Eraslan gokcen at pardus.org.tr
Tue Nov 23 15:59:53 CET 2010

19 Kasım 2010 Cuma günü (saat 15:53:21) Gökçen Eraslan şunları yazmıştı:
> Hello,
>
> I want to implement system-wide connection support for KNM. I'm trying to
> understand the code for some time, and writing down the questions and the
> bugs I've found.
>
> Here is what I understand from the code:
>
> * plasma applet gets activatable list from org.kde.networkmanagement and
> uses Solid::Control interface to activate/deactivate connections,
> enable/disable network and catch the events about the network and
> interfaces.
>
> * KCModule, just reads/writes connections to networkmanagementrc conf file
> and details about the connections to apps/networkmanagement/connections
> directory and calls the configure dbus method of kded module to make it
> aware of changes.
>
> * kded module reads configuration files (networkmanagementrc), and get
> system- wide connection list from NM. Also monitors interfaces and AP's to
> update its activatable list.
>
> Now, if I understand the code correctly, we need to decide the way we
> implement system-wide connection support. If we want KCModule to
> add/remove/change system-wide connections it must use
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings interface of NM (or an
> interface of NM kded module that actually uses NM's interface).
>
> Here are the alternatives for solution of that:
>
> 1- Add a 'AddConnection' method to org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings
> interface of KNM kded module, just like NM (version 0.8), and make KNM
> KCModule use AddConnecion/ListConnections and Update/Delete methods of both
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings and
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings. So, KCModule does not read or
> write networkmanagementrc and connection files, just calls specific DBus
> methods of NM (for system-wide connections) and KNM kded module (for user
> wide connections). This solution make KCModule code NM dependant but I
> don't know if this is a wanted behaviour.
>
> 2- In addition to the ListActivatable method of KNM kded module, we may add
> a few methods like AddConnection(with a parameter specifiying whether the
> connection is system-wide or user-wide), ListConnections,
> DeleteConnection, UpdateConnection so on. Then, KCModulde uses
> org.kde.networkmanagement to do its job and again does not read or write
> to networkmanagementrc and connection files. In this solution KCModule
> code does not depend on NM, but we need to implement more DBus methods
> than the first solution.
>
> 3- We may add AddConnection/UpdateConnection methods to
> Solid::Control::NetworkManager library, but I don't know the details of
> library.
>

> Any ideas?

Will, Sebas what are your ideas about that? I have written a patch that
partially implements the first option, but I'm polishing it now to send to
reviewboard. I need your help to implement this, if you're unavailable, please
make me aware of that, I'm still waiting for your comments.

--
Gökçen Eraslan