[Kde-hardware-devel] Review Request: Adds tab with Mobile Broadband info (depends on ModemManager)

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Wed May 19 00:41:38 CEST 2010

	The "Show more" is working now. Actually when I tried before there were
nothing in the right panel, now it shows my connections. Now I can connect
manually, which solve most of the problems described below. The "Not
Available" still show the details about the last interface. I will do more
tests here, it seems my setup has some wierd behaviour with plasma applet.

Em Terça-feira 18 Maio 2010, Lamarque Vieira Souza escreveu:
> 	Ok, now plasma applet connects me to the Internet with all three types
> (wired, wireless and 3G), but it needs a lot of work:
>
> . auto-connect works for wired and wireless, but for 3G it only works if
> the modem has already been "initialized" (radio turned on and registered
> to operator network). 3G modems can be slow to initialize (my MD300 can
> take 15 seconds to turn radio on after I hook it up to USB port plus more
> 15s to register to operator network, sometimes even more than that). It
> seems plasma applet does not wait for it to initialize and auto-connect
> does not work. To force it to connect I had to disable networking, which
> disconnects wired and wireless connections, and enable networking again.

	Auto-connect with 3G is still a problem because of that slow
initialization.

> . some time ago I did a test with wvdial with my cell phone and if I issue
> the AT +CFUN=1 command (turn radio on) it does the contrary, it disables
> radio and I have to reboot my phone to get it working again, even for
> voice call. ModemManager always issue this command when connecting, that
> is another reason I do not use auto-connect for 3G here, so please make it
> possible to connect manually or I will have to reboot my cell phone
> everytime I hook it to my notebook.

	With manually connecting now working this is not a issue for me.

> . connecting manually is very important to me because I have a 3G modem and
> a cell phone, both using chips from the same operator, I do it this way
> because voice call using 3G chip is much more expensive than using the
> other chip (about more than 8 times more expensive, one more wierd thing
> about brazilian telephone operators). So, if I hook up my cell phone
> plasma applet will automatically connects me to 3G and my cell phone bill
> will increase like hell until I notice it. Ok it will not because the
> problem mentioned before, but if that problem did not existed this one
> would happen. The problem below makes things a little worse since plasma
> applet does not notifies me I am connected.

	With manually connecting now working this is not a issue for me.

> . plasma applet does not emmit any notification at all as far as I can see.
> There are entries in bugs.kde.org with people asking for notifications when
> a connection has been made or closed (https://bugs.kde.org/204356). I
> implemented this feature some weeks ago for knm and I think it is quite
> useful.

	This is still a problem.

> . when NM restarts the applet does not recognise NM anymore, but the kded
> modules still works and auto-connects in background. Knm has this problem
> too and as far as I could investigate this problem
> (https://bugs.kde.org/233469) some dbus signals are not reaching the
> slots. I created a hack to restart knm and it seems to workaround the
> problem in knm, but I do not know how to restart plasma applet. I think
> this is a annyoing bug, if someone could help investigate this or make my
> hack work with plasma applet I appreciate it. As a test I tried to remove
> and re-add plasma applet from notification tray but it still does not
> recognise NM is running. Even removing the whole notification tray did not
> do the trick.

	Still a problem.

> . there are some inconsistencies in the interface. The "Not Available"
> entry below the Mobile Broadband interface for instance, when I click on
> it it just show me the details about the last connection I had clicked
> (eth0, eth1, or usb0 in my case), if it is "not available" it should do
> nothing when I click on in, right? The "Show more"  button does nothing
> here.

	The "Show more" is working now and the "Not available" should do nothing
i my oppinion.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm