kde network manager and pam_mount

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 14:11:12 CEST 2010

I implemented a solution a couple hours ago. Somebody told me to try wicd.

The drawback of wicd is that I must diverge from the default opensuse
configuration (which uses kde network manager)
This means the wicd solution will bite me at some time in the future
because it's not the default in opensuse.

Solution:
Switch back to traditional network configuration (ie ifup/ifdown)
Define a default wifi connection.
Install wicd http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

advantages:
users can still select a different wifi network if they wish to.
It is possible to use ldap/ads/networked authentication mechanism.
it works with pam_mount
Does not need the wifi configuration added for each additional user
that for some reason uses the laptop on the same wifi network.

drawbacks:
not standard included in opensuse 11.2 (available in the opensuse build service)
possible future compatibility issues.

I'll keep an eye on the (kde) network manager mailing list to see if
the features get added some time in the future.

Rob Verduijn