Network Management Plasmoid

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Fri Oct 30 08:58:48 CET 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 01:47:21 Matt Rogers wrote:
> So if I don't care about vpn or any of that stuff, then I can go ahead and
>  use the applet now?

Are you referring to knetworkmanager or the Plasma applet?  	Yes, you can go
ahead and use knetworkmanager now.  You can use it for VPN and 3G too - it's
just polish lacking there. We're shipping it in openSUSE 11.2, and it's
available for 11.1 in the OBS repos.  Kubuntu and Fedora are shipping it in
their autumn releases, albeit with a git master version of NetworkManager that
I don't use and without testing anything more complex than wireless.

In theory you can use the plasmoid as well, since they share 90% of their
code, but I am concentrating on 'finishing' the backend parts and validating
those with knetworkmanager before I start distracting myself with working
around QGraphicsView layout bugs to ship something that looks 21st century but
isn't of any use.  Sebastan Kügler was working on it a bit, you may want to
give him a nudge to pick up tools again.

Will