Network Management Plasmoid

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 09:17:15 CET 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 04:17:45 you wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Was wondering what's keeping the Network Management plasmoid in playground
> rather than getting it moved to kdeplasma-addons or kdebase.
>
> I'm quite tired of using nm-applet and would be willing to put a little bit
>  of time towards making it work better.

Hiya Matt

I've put most work into knetworkmanager using the Network Management libs.
This is what I'd call 1.0 and move to extragear/network.  But I'd like proper
icons first.

For the next iteration it needs
* input validation, currently stubbed.
* minimal popups when asking for new secrets instead of showing the full
dialog
* more info in the main tooltip and icon (vpn state, connection progress)
* ModemManager integration (shows cellular signal strength, allows network
selection)
* mobile broadband provider database (partly implemented, needs merging)

The plasmoid frontend needs work on the painting code to show all the status
that the knetworkmanager UI can.

I'm cc'ing the list so others can also see what's to do.

Will