KNetworkManager

Nicholas Betcher nbetcher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:52:50 CET 2009

I may be able to assist in writing documentation if that is something which
no one has come to the aid on.

On Nov 24, 2009 10:21 AM, "Will Stephenson" <wstephenson at kde.org> wrote:

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 13:58:03 Timothy Murphy wrote: > What exactly is
the purpose of KNetwork...
What exactly is missing from http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager
,
the first google hit for 'knetworkmanager'?.

> I assumed it would have a GUI, > which would enable me to set some
parameters for NM, > but that ...
Yes, it does.  More info and screenshots:
http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/07/introducing-kde-4-knetworkmanager

> I just installed KNetworkManager, > and I have an NM icon in my panel. >
When I left-click on thi...
NM allows one and only one user client to provide it with settings (via a
DBUS
service.  This warning appears if KNetworkManager is unable to start because
another client already owns the settings DBUS service.  Distributions should
prevent multiple NM clients being installed but since NM is a can of worms
I'm
not surprised if they get it wrong.

I've made the warning clearer in trunk already, but I guess you are using a
packaged earlier version.

Anyway, solutions: I'm going to put my finger in the air and guess that
you're
either

a) using GNOME's nm-applet, for example in a KDE install in Fedora.  In
which
case you need to stop nm-applet autostarting in KDE or uninstall it.

b) or are running Kubuntu and have still got their earlier packaging of the
Network Management plasmoid installed, which includes a headless
NetworkManager client as a module for kded.  I don't know exactly what the
package name is, but you should find out and uninstall it, then go and tell
your distribution that they should have set a Conflicts on both packages
preventing them from being installed simultaneously.  If I'm right about it
being Kubuntu then to complicate matters, they ship KNetworkManager in a
package called something like kde4-plasmoid-knetworkmanager when it isn't a
plasmoid at all.

c) running openSUSE in which case the joke is on me.

If none of these help, try killing nm-applet or cnetworkmanager, or a
knetworkmanager instance running as another user or a KDE 3 knetworkmanager,
or unload the kded module with "qdbus org.kde.kded /kded unloadModule
networkmanagement".

More technical information:
http://userbase.kde.org/NetworkManagement

> And I cannot find any documentation on this program.
I haven't written any docbook for it yet.  I'm off to bake scones now.

Will