KNetworkManager

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Nov 24 17:39:39 CET 2009

Hi,

Which version are you using?

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 13:58:03 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What exactly is the purpose of KNetworkManager?
> I assumed it would have a GUI,
> which would enable me to set some parameters for NM,
> but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It's in sytem settings, actually, or if you choose "Manage Connections..." from the
systray icon's config menu.

> I just installed KNetworkManager,
> and I have an NM icon in my panel.
> When I left-click on this,
> I am asked a question,
> "Another NetworkManager client is already running.
> Use KNetworkManager in future?",
> but neither of the options offered seems to me
> to be an answer to this question.

NetworkManager (the underlying system) cannot have more than one client. A client is
either GNOME's nm-applet, knetworkmanager, or possibly the kded module to interact
from Plasma. Stop the one you're running and then start knetworkmanager.

> And I cannot find any documentation on this program.

There's some avaiable on techbase.

Cheers,
--
sebas