Fwd: Re: Knetworkmanager wireless problem

Andrew Manson g.real.ate at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:05:04 CET 2009

On Monday 23 Nov 2009 10:34:49 Will Stephenson wrote:
> > I can see 2 fixes to my problem
> > 1) force Knetworkmanager to never confirm the password and just keep
> > trying to reconnect
> > ---or---
> > 2) write a script/program that connects to the
> >  networkmanager/knetworkmanager that checks connectivity every 20mins and
> >  gives the network a kick so it reconnects.
> >
> > Does anyone have any opinion on either option? and if you think the only
> >  way forward would be to go for option 2) then what dbus api should i be
> >  looking into? if anyone could give me some direction that would be much
> >  appreciated.
>
> How about showing the dialog but with a countdown, at the end of which the
> dialog Ok's itself?  This would give the hamfisted the opportunity to
>  correct  their passwords and let you reconnect your ssh without too much
>  downtime.

So you're suggesting a change to KNetworkManager itself... I would happily
create a patch ( as a timer would be a very easy solution ) but what is the
chance that it would get accepted into your sources? I have commit rights for
kde but don't worry i'll still use KdeReview ;)

Does anyone else like this idea?

-Andrew