Knetworkmanager wireless problem

Andrew Manson g.real.ate at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:47:26 CET 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my wireless in that it cuts out every so
often, really annoying when you're trying to ssh in from outside and the
network is down ;) When I get back to my computer I can see that the wireless
network password prompt is open on my desktop, all I have to do is to click
"Ok" to reconnect.

Is there any way to automate this? Or to tell knetworkmanager that the
password is indeed correct and just to keep trying to connect until it
succeeds? I presume that the problem is that Knetworkmanager can't connect for
N times and then presumes that the password is incorrect, hence prompting for
the user to confirm the password.

I can see 2 fixes to my problem
1) force Knetworkmanager to never confirm the password and just keep trying to
reconnect
---or---
2) write a script/program that connects to the networkmanager/knetworkmanager
that checks connectivity every 20mins and gives the network a kick so it
reconnects.

Does anyone have any opinion on either option? and if you think the only way
forward would be to go for option 2) then what dbus api should i be looking
into? if anyone could give me some direction that would be much appreciated.

-Andrew