NetworkManager Compilation Error Against 4.3.x

Nicholas Betcher nbetcher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 05:22:44 CET 2009

Hello,
I have recently been discussing the KDE NetworkManager in SVN trunk with
Will and it's my understanding that the intent is for it to be backwards
compatible with 4.3.x. However it is unfortunately not, but it is fairly
close to being so. Excluding the applet (which I'm told is not part of the
main required functionality), the current compile error happens to be
related to Qt 4.6-only code. It is two part:

libs/service/notificationmanager.cpp:301: m_notification =
QWeakPointer<KNotification>(notification);
This overloaded constructor was added in 4.6 and is not available in
previous versions of Qt. 4.5 only has support for an already-existing
QSharedPointer, QWeakPointer, or object that inherits QObject.

libs/service/notificationmanager.cpp:304: notification =
m_notification.data();
the data() function was added to QWeakPointer in 4.6.

As my pea-size brain cannot currently support any further knowledge
regarding programming, my understanding of what a QWeakPointer does is
limited (aka non-existent). I read the documentation on it, but it sounds a
little more touchy than the "good old" pointers that I'm used to. Plus I do
not understand why so much code is needed to send a notification event, but
I assume it's to help work-around some bug or notification delay.

For the time-being I have commented out the QWeakPointer failsafes in the
affected code and the rest of the code base (again, minus the applet which
is probably never going to be backwards compatible) seems to compile.
Testing the application, however, may yield different results. :)

Thanks for the great work everyone!
Nick Betcher, CPhT
Certified Pharmacy Technician