Thoughts about VPN

Andrey Batyiev batyiev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:30:06 CET 2009

I was trying to understand how is better to get VPN connection settings (ip
config, dns servers, routes etc). There are problems: KNM/solid doesn't have
needed infrastructure and NM doesn't provide simple way to get this info
(there is no org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.IP4Config node, as with any non-VPN
connections).

My solutions:
* KNM/solid: introduce VPNNetworkInterface similar to other NetworkInterfaces.
Reasoning: in fact, each of VPN plugins creates underlying network device,
e.g. ppp0 for pptp, tun0 for openvpn and vpnc.
* NM: we can ask NM guys either to make
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.IP4Config node, or to catch
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.VPN.Plugin.Ip4Config signal from VPN plugin.

What do you think?

--
Thanks,
   Andrey