ideas for nm

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-kde at yahoo.com.br
Thu Nov 5 16:33:38 CET 2009

Hi,
I've talked with Will Sephenson and searched about nm
to see if the things I have in mind are possible.
First I have to say that I know this is not an easy task
and that you have already put a lot of work on it
I'm trying to test last svn right now (although I have a
bit recent version packaged for Debian).

The thing is knm is definetly one software that I don't like,
not that I'm supperior of anyone but I understant things
about ip, routes and i find it dam complicated to setup
in knm. Also looking at nm-applet and knm they are basically
the same ui just gtk->qt which is also no good, I know that
NetworkManager does not provide many options but it does
allow a better ui design.

I really would like to improve knm I'm just a bit afraid
of devs reaction since much of what i'd like to do
would be rewriting most ui's, I'm not a fan of forking
and starting from scratch seems like a long road.

What i propose in the following note is something
like win+mac in which win is powerfull and mac
is simple. I'm no win fan but at least on XP is easier
to setup an IP. Of course most users don't know what
an IP is but the ones that does it should be simple/possible
and for the ones that does not know that simple wizards
helps a lot.
Hope you like it, please comments!
Daniel.

- libmodel
    - list
        - devices
        - connections
    - handle the menu for each item in the list
    - items in the list should set the tool tip
      with product() from
      http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/solid/html/classSolid_1_1Device.html
    - interfaces name should be the same as linux

- nm-cfg
    - configure VPN/DSL/WIRED/CDMA/GSM connection
    - we should be able to configure the current connection
      AND profile connection that might be applied to any
      interface of that kind.
    - this is the most sensible part, since creating a connection
      if a pain for those that do not understand that a connection
      is just a network setup that can be applied to an interface.
      We must make this as simple as possible!
      probably the best is to not use a connection at all, and IF
      and just IF the user creates a connection and it is in use
      on exit we ask if we should save to the current profile.

- nm-status
    - show status of VPN/DSL/WIRED/CDMA/GSM connections

- nm-wizard
    - create VPN/DSL/WIRED/CDMA/GSM connections
      in a wizard fashion
    -

- kded nm
    - show systray icons (if the connection is suppoed to show it)
    - OR show one all in one icon that groups the connections
      in a menu.

- sysinfo:// OR/AND kcm
    - show interfaces/connection in a icon fashion
    - show a create new connection which call our
      cool wizard.

We need good icons:
    - status
        * uploading orange
        * downloading green
        * both red
    - for wired show a pluged in cable and the status led
      to use the status colors
    - fow wifi show the color on the top of the antenna