keep eth0 configured even if the cable is disconnected

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Jan 12 18:15:38 CET 2009

> Not with NetworkManager. Once NM detects the cable is unplugged it will
> reset the interface.
>
> AFAIK you should be able to mark single devices to not be controlled by
> NetworkManager. But that's distro specific and I don't know much about
> ubuntu.

Helmut,

Thank you for the quick reply. One quick followup question.

You see, we make cameras based on FOSS (
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/cameras ), many of our customers do not have
any prior experience with GNU/Linux and we try to help them to install all
the development environment to work with our products (most fun is when you
modify our pre-installed firmware). Currently we use Kubuntu and I believe
KDE-based system is the easiest to use for people who moved from the other
OS.

If there is no recommended simple  solution with knetworkmanager, would you
suggest we instruct all our customers to uninstall it completely and use
other means to configure their networks?

Andrey Filippov
Elphel, Inc