keep eth0 configured even if the cable is disconnected

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Sat Jan 10 04:56:04 CET 2009

Is there a simple way to make eth0 keep its (manual) IP address even if
network is physically disconnected?

I'm using Kubuntu 8.10, this time is on eee box but we had similar problems
with other computers. I need one port to keep its configuration even if the
cable is physically disconnected or, actually network camera on the other
end of the network cable (nothing else there, no switches - just PC and the
camera) being reboot. Currently, if I activate manual connection with the
eth0 set to 192.168.0.15/24 (camera has 192.168.0.9) it works, but as soon
as I reboot the camera eth0 looses IP and does not restore it back. In some
operation modes (low-level reflash) camera does not have any IP at all
(special packets are used) but we still need the eth0 to stay configured.

On the other ports I would like to use regular (nice) functionality of the
knetworkmanager. Is that possible?

Andrey Filippov

Elphel, Inc.