k-n-m 0.7: feedback and questions

Jan Stanzel jan.stanzel at relovution.de
Fri Jun 13 21:57:15 CEST 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008 16:48:54 Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2008, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Am Fr 13 Jun 2008 01:43:19 CEST schrieb Michael Biebl <biebl at debian.org>:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > [...]
> > > 2.) Creating a wireless connection has become a bit more complicated.
> > > knm 0.2 showed me a list of all available wlans, and I could simply
> > > select one and knm prompted me for the password. simple.
> > > Now I first have to create a connection manually (via "New connection"
> > > or "Edit connections".) The new interface is not so intuitive as the
> > > old one, although I admit, that the context menu can become a bit
> > > cluttered, if you have a lot of wlans active in your area.
> >
> > Exactly that was the reason why we decided not to show all available
> > wireless networks in the context menu but only the known ones. Maybe
> > if time allows that could be made configurable.
>
> I find the current process of creating a network unmanageable.  I travel
> for work and don't always know in advance the network i'm going to connect
> to when at public hot spots  or at friends houses etc.  it is expected that
> i can see the network and select it. [...]

I second that. There may be a few situations where the resulting dialog may be
a bit cluttered, but I think in most cases it will be far more beneficial to
see all networks at a quick glance. I think it's more user-friendly to simply
show all networks, so a simple click is enough to start the wizard.

Kudos to everyone working on this, it's one of these really important "polish"
things that make a *nix Desktop soo much more pleasant to use, especially on
laptops. :-)

- Jan