k-n-m 0.7: feedback and questions

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Fri Jun 13 01:43:19 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been using NM 0.7 (svn r3750) and k-n-m 0.7 (svn r819795) for some
time now, and I noticed a few things.
First of all, the good: Creating (wireless) connections basically works
(tested with WPA).
Now the bad:
1.) kwalletmanager is *not* used for storing the WPA secrets
2.) Creating a wireless connection has become a bit more complicated.
knm 0.2 showed me a list of all available wlans, and I could simply
select one and knm prompted me for the password. simple.
Now I first have to create a connection manually (via "New connection"
or "Edit connections".) The new interface is not so intuitive as the old
one, although I admit, that the context menu can become a bit cluttered,
if you have a lot of wlans active in your area.
3.) The nice info dialog is gone ;-) Also, k-n-m 0.2 showed me useful
information when I hovered over the networks in the dropdown list.
Maybe this is a deliberate decision to simplify the UI, just wanted to
note that I liked the old behaviour.
4.) Integration with system-settings service is missing.
   a.) It's not possible to store/edit/activate system settings
   b.) If e.g. a wlan system connection is active, k-n-m only shows a
green globe, not the actual status.

All in all, the situation is much improved over a few weeks ago and knm
0.7 is basically usable (so kudos!), but 1.) and 4.) are currently my
two main showstoppers.

So, my question is, if you are already working on these issue and if
there is a  time frame, when we can expect this.
I'd like to get NM 0.7 into Debian lenny, which would require a
functional k-n-m. Without a fully working k-n-m, I'll have to stick to
0.6.6.

Thanks for your all your hard work,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?