D-Bus requirements of knm-0.7

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 17 12:48:38 CET 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Kevin Krammer schrieb:
> > I had hoped the bindings would get used by projects using D-Bus on KDE3,
> > but unfortunately adding them to the D-Bus bindings page and blogging
> > about them a couple of times doesn't have been enough marketing and
> > projects like KDE bluetooth put quite some effort into using low-level
> > D-Bus with basic event loop integratation instead :-/
> >
> > KNetworkManager is AFAIK probably the only real project using it right
> > now. This has improved finding bugs tremendously.
> >
> > If any packager needs anything changed please be free to contact me
> > directly at any time.
>
> I don't want to sound negative, but given the fact that KDE4 is around
> the corner and as you said, almost every project using the old-style qt3
> dbus bindings, do you think it's still worth the effort to work on this
> new qt3 dbus bindings (and porting knm to it)?

From what I know several distributions will continue shipping KDE3 for quite
some time, but also update D-Bus based infrastructure.
For example Fedora already includes the new network manager version with its
new D-Bus API, thus bascially forcing their KDE users to two transitions
(knm -> nm-applet -> knm)

I can't really talk on using the so called old-style Qt3 bindings, when I
tried it back in 2005 it was so much effort I rather spent time on doing the
backport.

As I said it is quite unfortunate that some projects decided continuing with
hand-coding low-level access instead of using code generator assistance
provided by the Qt3 bindings.

> Please consider that this will add additional workload for all
> distributions, which now have to package two qt3-dbus libraries.
> Are the advantages of this "new" qt3-dbus bindings so compelling to
> justify this?

Helmut can probably answer this better than I can, since he as experience with
the low-level way of doing D-Bus as well.

I guess it is also a distributors choice, e.g. they can decide not to upgrade
the respective D-Bus service or decide to cripple their KDE.

Cheers,
Kevin

New tar ball with bug fixes here:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~krake/dbus-1-qt3/libdbus-1-qt3-0.8.1.tar.bz2