D-Bus requirements of knm-0.7

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 17 12:11:16 CET 2007

Hi,

On Monday 17 December 2007, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> CC'ing Kevin as he is the dbus-qt4-qt3backport maintainer/developer

Thanks.
Can you keep me CC'ed, I am afraid this is one of the KDE mailinglist I am not
subscribed to.

> Am Montag, 17. Dezember 2007 11:14:51 schrieb Michael Biebl:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > over the weekend I tried to compile knm-0.7 svn.
> > It failed, because ./configure was looking for a dbus-1-qt3 pkg-config
> > file. The qt3 dbus bindings in Debian/Ubuntu are based on [1] afaik, and
> > I thought this was the "official" repository of the qt3 dbus bindings.
> > The old knm also successfully compiled against this qt3 bindings.
> >
> > After looking around, it seems knm 0.7 now requires dbus-qt3 from [2].
>
> Absolutely correct.

Actually I wasn't aware that someone had re-imported the unmaintained "draft
bindings", I though they were removed when the bindings got moved out to git.

> You'll need dbusxml2qt3 too which generates cpp-sources from NM's
> introspection files. It is included in dbus-qt3 from [2] but needs to get
> installed manually for now.

It would probably be part of a respective "-dev" package, but it has been very
experimental until Helmut started using it so I hadn't included it in the
main Makefile and kept it as an "add-on" like thing.

> And you'll need some fixes for dbus-qt3 too which are currently only in
> SVN.
>
> Perhaps Kevin can create a new tarball?

Certainly.

> > Is this now the canonical source for the qt3 dbus bindings?
> > Should these bindings replace the old ones, are they backwards
> > compatible or are they meant to be coinstallable?
>
> - No, they are not backwards compatible but much nicer to use :)
> - Yes, they can be coinstalled

The old "bindings" are basically just an event loop integration, all the real
work has to be done by using the low-level D-Bus API from libdbus.

I discovered an (abandoned) backport attempt of Will Stephenson in KDE's SVN
and continued that at it has had actually been designed as a Qt binding by
Harald Fernengel (Trolltech). Due to differences between the two Qt versions
I had to replace quite some code though.

As Helmut said, there shouldn't be any conflicting files blocking parallel
installation.
I had hoped the bindings would get used by projects using D-Bus on KDE3, but
unfortunately adding them to the D-Bus bindings page and blogging about them
a couple of times doesn't have been enough marketing and projects like KDE
bluetooth put quite some effort into using low-level D-Bus with basic event
loop integratation instead :-/

KNetworkManager is AFAIK probably the only real project using it right now.
This has improved finding bugs tremendously.

If any packager needs anything changed please be free to contact me directly
at any time.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring