Phonon VolumeFaderEffect not working with VLC backend

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Sat Apr 30 16:57:20 BST 2022

KAlarm uses Phonon's VolumeFaderEffect. This works with the GStreamer backend,
but I can't find a way of making it work with VLC. Looking at the phonon-vlc
code, it looks as if it should work without problem. It's coded as follows:

    mAudioObject = new Phonon::MediaObject(this);
    mAudioObject->setCurrentSource(source);
    auto output = new Phonon::AudioOutput(Phonon::NotificationCategory, this);
    mPath = Phonon::createPath(mAudioObject, output);
    output->setVolume(mVolume);
    mFader = new Phonon::VolumeFaderEffect(this);
    mFader->setVolume(mFadeVolume);
    mFader->fadeTo(vol, mFadeSeconds * 1000);
    mPath.insertEffect(mFader);

The values of mVolume and mFadeVolume are between 0 and 1, but whatever I set
them to, the fader has no effect on VLC. I've tried calling the last line both
when initialising, or when the Phonon state changes to PlayingState. Can
someone please advise about what is going wrong?

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer, KAlarm author.