Question About kde-review and release schedule

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Mon Feb 27 17:23:14 GMT 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Matthieu Gallien
<gallien.matthieu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

>> El dissabte, 25 de febrer de 2017, a les 10:43:47 CET, Matthieu Gallien va
>> escriure:
>> > Hello dear release team and kde multimedia team,
>> >
>> > I was hoping to have my application (Elisa a simple music player integrated
>> > using Baloo) ready for a release with KDE Applications 17.04. I believe I am
>> > a bit late and need to finish one feature before being ready for review.
>>
>> Has your app being released at all?
>>
>> If you have never released it, I think it may be a better if you do a
>> standalone release first and once we see how the public reacts to it, suggests
>> improvements, etc. we can talk about including it for 17.08.
>>

> This is a good idea.
>
> You have got me thinking about what I am trying to achieve. Indeed, I
> would like to get feedback both from real usage and from users. One or
> several releases are a good way to achieve that.
>

>> > How should I proceed ?
>> > Should I wait for 17.08 release or can I continue to work on this feature
>> > even if review is ongoing ?
>> > I am quite confident I will have finished before the feature freeze date but
>> > I believe that review have to be done before that date.
>> >
>> > Do you have any advice or other information about the process I should
>> > follow ?
>>
>> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle is partially out of
>> date, but it still contains some valid information.
>>
>> I guess someone/somewhen should update it to be totally correct.
>
> I have a few questions related to this subject.
>
> How does one perform a release of a software that is in playground or
> extragear ? I want anyway to go through kde-review before any release
> can happen.
>
> Do you believe it could be possible to do releases very often (like
> every two weeks) ? I could ensure no UI labels are changing so that
> translators are not doing extra work.

Yes, you can do a new "bugfix" release whenever you want (assuming no
UI string changes), that's the whole point of extragear (i.e. you
don't want to follow the strict release schedule of KDE Applications).

Btw, let me just say: Elisa looks really cool! Nice work with the UI.
However, I found a crash within minutes. I'd report the backtrace but
there is no bugzilla component yet.

> In order to have bug reporting through bugs.kde.org, I have to fill a
> ticket to sysadmin ? I have not been able to find a sort of policy
> about that.
>

>> Cheers,
>>   Albert
>>

>> > Thanks in advance