Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Stefan Derkits stefan at derkits.at
Fri Jul 31 18:15:00 BST 2015

Hello,

taking some lists off this discussion.

Let us try to use the kde-multimedia list, there is no mail traffic
there anyways ;)

On 2015-07-31 16:35, kainz.a wrote:
> why we can't use PMC as standard audio and video player? I think there was
> also an discussion about an standard video player so PMC is in our source
> and we don't have to start developing again.

there wasn't really any real technical decision yet which code to use.
PMC is a Plasma Shell and not a media player application. But that
doesn't mean that some parts of the code can be shared and put under
different UIs/different Names, I already started looking at the PMC
source yesterday.

Porting JuK: I think porting directly to KF5 is maybe harder and doesn't
create good code than writing stuff from scratch.

Using Baloo: Probably a good idea, KFileMetadata already has an Taglib
Extractor that seems to be able to do most of the Tag reading. No idea
about writing tags (e.g. statistics) to file.

Stefan