Adding multimedia-related features to Baloo

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 14 14:03:07 GMT 2014

On Friday, March 14, 2014 13:23:22 Denis Steckelmacher wrote:
> One question remains, though: what do you think that Baloo could bring
> the multimedia applications? Is there something related to semantic
> search that could prove useful to your applications?

my dream world for multimedia and semantic search has always been to eliminate
collection management duplication. it never happened with the Nepomuk backends
because they had too much overhead and so application developers stayed away
from using it. but baloo could change all that :)

as a user what i would *LOVE* is to have the following items stored in the
semantic search store so that it is easily fetchable by any application:

* playlists: these exist both in playlist files on disk as well as in app-
specific configurations/databases
* recently played (individual tracks, collections (e.g. albums, for music) and
playlists)
* play frequency stats
* scheduled lists (ala youtube's "watch later")

this would allow things like the following user story:

***
Aaron opens his laptop, creates a playlist of music and starts it playing Juk.
Happy with the mix, he adds it to the "listen later" list. During the
afternoon, Aaron watches some videos online in a web browser and uses the
Share Like Connect tool to add some of the videos to "watch later". He takes
his laptop over to a friend's that evening and plugs it into their home
theater system, starts Plasma Mediacenter and goes to the "Play later" page
which shows the videos and his playlist. Aaron presses "play" and the night
begins.
***

this kind of thing is already possible with online services, but they only
work within that one service and tend to be rather limited. still, i use those
features on a regular basis ... and i'd love something similar in KDE
software. semantic search could provide the single source, and baloo is
absolutely fast enough to take this on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo