GSoC 2013

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Mar 13 09:29:41 GMT 2013

Hi Sahil,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM, sahil nagpal <nagpal.sahil01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was going through the GSoC 2013 Ideas Page (KDE) and found Project: KMix2
> Sound Menu interesting. I am keen to work on this idea. Can you please
> suggest me how should I approach the idea.
>
> I have a basic knowledge on C\C++ and I have already started learning about
> Qt.

GSoC 2013 has only just been announced and we are currently creating
the list of ideas for GSoC which will be available as soon as KDE is
accepted as a participating project.

In the mean time I strongly suggest you read the KDE guide [1] first
and get familiar with KDE and its various projects as much as
possible. To be able to select a particular project you need to be
quite familiar with it, so make sure you learn as much as possible in
the mean time, mostly by using KDE and reading the documentation of
the various projects.

Getting not only familiar with the project but also get some first
coding experience and getting acquainted with the KDE developers is a
strongly recommended, so please have a look at the Junior Jobs in
Bugzilla [2]

Some important information regarding KDEs GSoC planning can be found
on the KDE Community wiki [4]

[1] http://flossmanuals.net/kde-guide/
[2] http:/kde.org/jj
[4] http://community.kde.org/GSoC

If you have never worked on Free Software before, here is some
important background information as well as some additional reads we
recommend:

About Free Software: [5]
How to ask questions and communicate: [6], [7] and [8]
Some basic mailing list and IRC etiquette: [9] and [10]

[5]: http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
[6]: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[7]: http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do
[8]: http://whathaveyoutried.com/