GSOC suggestions

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:48:35 GMT 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some suggestions for possible project ideas for this year's
> GSOC, fitting the theme "polishing existing things".  I am not
> intending to be an applicant or a mentor, and these may not be good
> ideas, so feel free to accept them or not as you see fit:

if you have more of the polishing ideas please share. doing a gsoc project
with many small things may be interesting.

> 1. Implement KIO access for one or both phonon backends.  Gstreamer
> already has a vfs access backend, so adding a KIO backend should be
> possible.  I am not sure the status of vfs support in VLC.  This will
> allow playing files from remote resources such as smb or now mtp
> without having to make a local copy.

that ought to be implemented on the other side of the abstraction
(frontend) and actually already is

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-runtime.git&a=blob&h=aba568ca48bf6a58605195a3c9ad66b8313723df&hb=82534ef1b7a8b659ecbc457c4374e5bdb376ebdf&f=phonon%2Fplatform_kde%2Fkiomediastream.cpp

except right now it is not working and weirdly applied by libphonon (fixing
it is too small a thing for a whole GSOC project though).

> 2. Re-implement existing ffmpeg functionality in KDE using gstreamer.
> ffmpeg is used by things like nepomuk, but has licensing issues that
> makes it impossible to build against it.  gstreamer abstracts away the
> parts with licensing issues, allowing distros to build against it
> legally while still allowing users to install the questionable bits
> separately.  The purpose of this project would be to implement support
> for gstreamer alongside ffmpeg in one or more of the places it is
> currently used.  ffmpeg should still be preferred if it is available.

as someone already mentioned, that is a non-issue. ffmpegthumbnailer OTOH
is meant to use ffmpeg ;), mplayerthumbs though actually can use Phonon,
except the API is experimental and someone was working on an entirely
phonon based thumbnailer anyway.

HS