kmix-improvements - status

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 22 20:30:45 BST 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 15:29 +0200, Daniel Faust wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my name is Daniel Faust and I recently wanted to fix a layout problem in kmix
> (bko 317646).
> I then realized that it would need some dirty changes and I remembered Trever
> Fischer's blog about his kmix-improvements branch.
> Without having looked at the code in detail, it looks much cleaner and more
> fun to work on than the current code.

thanks \o/

> The last commit is over 2 months old, though. So my question would be, what
> are your current priorities and what are your ambitions towards a re-write?
> Is it a matter of your free time? And would you welcome some help?

KMix2 is almost big enough of a change to be considered a rewrite. The
program is drastically restructured, but a lot of the code is copied and
reformatted from KMix1.

> Another point would be the vision of a UI. I know that this can be quite
> different for various people. I put some thought to how the kmix UI could look
> like and made some mock-ups. I would rather like to not share them with you
> right now, though, since I don't want to alienate anybody before talking about
> the other questions.

How would it alienate people?

> I see that there are actually more people who would like to contribute to
> kmix, but it looks like it's mostly about MPRIS2 and SoundMenu and the kmix
> master branch.

Thats mostly the GSOC project.

> It would be great if someone could fill me in on the current state of the
> project.

It is still alive but set aside while I manage these gsoc applicants and
other things.