Phonon 4 Qt 5 support

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Oct 10 17:57:48 BST 2012

On Wednesday 10 October 2012 18:05:47 Harald Sitter wrote:
> phonon4support will be in an own repository
> (as ervin wants us to be release managed by kde? lol? :P)

Not sure what the snarky remark hides regarding the release team, I couldn't
care less at that stage. But I think the "ervin wants us to" needs
clarification.

At the end of the day I don't really want anything, but apparently I didn't
make myself clear on that. :-)

So to try to phrase it better:
If you want Phonon under the KDE Frameworks banner, then phonon4support has to
be in an own repository because of the release management that KDE Frameworks
will entail. Now, if you think Phonon will be better served by doing its stuff
alone outside of KDE Frameworks, then you can do whatever you want with your
repository and branches[*].

Obviously, my personal opinion is that both KDE Frameworks and Phonon would
benefit if Phonon was in, but it's not my call it's your.

> What remains to be decided is just how much we want to support
> phonon4support deployments. I personally would like to openly
> discourage deployment of software using the support library.

It should really be seen as a tool to help porting applications. You don't
want to be forced into porting away from several targets at the same time.

Regards.

PS: Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to that list.

[*] Well, as long as it doesn't make my life miserable when working on
preparing KDE Frameworks (as some bits use Phonon). :-)
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net