Phonon's failure to detect Pulseaudio

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 02:31:08 BST 2011

Hi all,

Currently my system (which has Pulseaudio enabled - version 0.9.21)
with current Phonon master is NOT able to find Pulseaudio. As I need
Pulseaudio in order to use my Bluetooth headset, it is highly
irritating for this to have occurred. Tracing back, I found that this
breakage occurred some time after commit
c7176c2386d160717422315e4cff4c92fa044bbc. Unfortunately I suck with
CMake - and cannot fix it.

This unintended breakage (which I hadn't initially thought to check
for - as it previously detected it - I didn't expect it to break) is
the root cause of both the stutters I experience with Phonon VLC, and
the crashes I recieved with Phonon GStreamer. Phonon Xine handled the
lack of native Pulseaudio support fine. Fortunately the actual ABI of
the source hasn't changed - so I can use my existing backends as they
are - I cannot recompile them due to incompatible changes in the CMake
build system. Now that Phonon itself supports Pulseaudio again - all
three work fine again.

Can someone (with more cmake foo that I) please fix the Pulseaudio
finder to find it accurately?

Regards,
Ben