Official deprecation of phonon-backend-xine

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sat Jun 4 19:19:29 BST 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21, Trever Fischer
> <tdfischer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Its been mentioned once or twice in public channels, but nobody has actually
>> made a straightforward announcement.
>>
>> The Xine backend for Phonon is totally unmaintained and therefore deprecated.
>> The only backends people should be using are VLC and GStreamer.
>>
>> Unless of course, some willing and brave developer would like to step up and
>> take on the challenge :)
>
> How do we publicize this fact better? Move the phonon repo to some
> as-yet uncreated attic space on git.kde.org?

Yeah, along with every other backend except the two aforementioned ones.

And perhaps add a README.

Other than that we probably cannot do much, we already have set the
preferences of the desktop files (for KDE) so that xine is not used
whenever a working backend is present. Should people despite all that
still complain about issues in pxine then we might just start trolling
them ;)

regards,
Harald