Randa: GIT migration plan for KDE Multimedia

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 20:01:41 BST 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM, ian.monroe at gmail.com
<ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 13:35, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM, ian.monroe at gmail.com
>> <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why does it mean that?
>>
>> Because shipping broken and unmaintained software results in bad
>> public perception of KDE and particularly our multimedia apps.
>
> Well I mean, can't we just delete (git rm) the unmaintained software
> from my hypothetical combined non-app repo. Or not convert it in the
> first place. I don't see how having separate repos changes anything in
> regards to this issue.

That does not safe us from software dying later or getting introduced
later and then die after that. At any rate having later disappearing
software in the history is nothing but ewww. If every application/lib
is in their own repo we can just demote/promote states without every
touching git, elevating the whole process from technical work to
management work (of sorts).

>>> Well people complain a lot, see the latest thread on release-team. I
>>> think making the dep tree very simple is a good thing and not hard to
>>> do.
>>
>> It was pointed out by fedora and kubuntu packagers that it makes much
>> sense to have kdemm split.
>
> Yea I don't really understand whats going on with that thread.

No idea, svuorela also thinks splitting is a good thing in general, so
that adds Debian to the supporters :P