Phonon problems in Debian

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 23 16:37:39 GMT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Thiago Macieira at 23/01/11 13:44 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sunday, 23 de January de 2011 13:18:31 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Thiago Macieira at 19/01/11 23:05 did gyre and gimble:

>>> Except, of course, when PulseAudio is running (it starts itself) but
>>> audio routing is done via ALSA straight to the kernel.
>>
>> Not sure I follow your point here...
>
> I mean systems like mine, where ALSA is configured to go to the kernel, not to
> pulseaudio.
>
> But pulseaudio is running. It's unused and useless.

There is very, very little point in configuring a system where PA is
running and ALSA is not directing the "default" device to PA. To do so
would be an exercise in frustration and strange errors.

If you don't want to use PA then fine, but don't configure it to run. If
your distro behaves itself, then it'll offer easy ways to configure
this. If not then you'll have to do it yourself (disable autospawn and
stop the XDG autostart files from firing).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie