Phonon Sample Cache

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 00:04:14 BST 2011

On 28/08/2011, at 12:48 PM, Trever Fischer wrote:

> On Saturday, August 27, 2011 09:00:37 PM Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Well, the way we manage graphics themes in KDE Games *is* standardised
>> and has been since at least a year before the first release of KDE 4.  This
>> standardisation is supported by conventions artists can follow in their SVG
>> files and KDE translators can use when translating the names and
>> descriptions of themes.  It is also supported by modules in the KDE Games
>> Library that find themes, display them in dialogs, render graphics and
>> manage caches of pixmaps.  I do not think the KDE Games team are
>> about to change all that across dozens of games.
> Is there documentation in one of the *base wikis for this stuff?

For KGoldrunner, the documentation is in the SVN repository in file:
        kdegames/kgoldrunner/themes/ README
I believe other games have similar READMEs.  I do not think this stuff ever
got into Techbase, if that is what you are asking.  One reason IIRC is that Tbase
did not exist at the time the file was first committed.  Another is that each game
has specific requirements for graphic objects within the general framework and
conventions (e.g. KGoldrunner has bricks and Granatier has ice).  From the point
of view of an artist designing a new theme it is perhaps easier to keep the
required information close to where the new theme-files will go.

>> Adding sounds to the graphics structure was not so much "ad hoc" as
>> a logical extension to what was already there IMO.  Another author wrote
>> that code, but I am not likely to change it.
> Any idea where to start looking for that code?

Which code?  KGoldrunner's sound code is in kdegames/kgoldrunner/src
in files named "*sound*" and directory TagaroAudio.  The sound files are
in themes/default, mixed with graphics files, though I would have preferred
themes/defaultsounds or something similar.

The KDE Games library code is in kdegames/libkdegames in classes
such as kgametheme* and the more recent kgamerenderer* which
AFAIK are documented in the usual API/Doxygen style.

About eight games have been ported to KGameRenderer, which provides
a unified approach to themes, graphics objects, pixmaps and caches.  One
day I would like to port KGoldrunner to it.

>>  I wonder when the USA will go metric ... :-)
> I've been wondering that myself. Everyone looks at me funny when I don't tell
> them the temperature in fahrenheit.

Australia, where I live, *did* go metric several decades ago, but builders still
speak of "four by two" (inches) for their timber framing ... :-)  We have
temperature in Celsius, but when it is really hot we say, "Forty?  Isn't that
more than a hundred on the old scale?" ... :-)

Cheers, Ian W.