PulseAudio & !PulseAudio in KDEMM (was: Re: Phonon Sample Cache)

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Aug 29 15:32:22 BST 2011

On Monday, August 29, 2011 12:41:21 Ian Monroe wrote:
> tl;dr version of harald's email: the phonon stuff don't work,
> pulseaudio does, let's use it.

Well that's very broad. Phonon "works" for me for years now (of course I
jumped on the phonon-gst ship years before it was cool to have done so ;).
Really, Phonon has been generally very solid for me since soon after its
inception.

The problems *have* related to device enumeration, where the right output
device was selected but renamed compared to what had been there before, giving
some warning popups on login, though I haven't seen that in awhile.

I fully support integrating as nicely as possible with PA for those who need
its features, but I would hope we don't forget why Phonon was developed in the
first place, it wasn't that long ago when a completely different sound system
was the big 800lb gorilla which would "obviously" be the only system for the
KDE 4 lifespan...

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne