Phonon Sample Cache

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Aug 29 00:03:22 BST 2011

On Saturday, August 27, 2011 13:56:03 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> libcanberra does pulse, alsa, gstreamer and OSS. The plan would be to
> use pulse by default on most linux systems and write an additional
> phonon backend for canberra for those users who do not want to use pulse
> (which is an reducing minority but an annoying vocal one, so needs to be
> supported). If written, this phonon backend would be committed upstream.

I don't use PulseAudio and I'm on Linux. I do so for the same reason that I
used aKode on KDE 3.5 instead of aRts. It's funny that it's not considered
completely insane for Linux users to use lightweight programs in other
instances where an entire order-of-magnitude more features is not desired
(e.g. lighttpd vs. httpd, the various 'light' window managers, etc.). What is
it exactly about not using PA when I don't need positional audio or network
sound streaming over a home network that I don't have that makes *me* the
stick in the mud?

I'd like to think I'd been a completely silent minority... it's looking as if
I'll need to change that soon.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne