KGoldrunner still silenced in KDE 4.6

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 06:10:59 BST 2011

On Monday 25 April 2011 7:53:04 pm Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I could try export PHONON_GST_GST_DEBUG=5 if you like.
>
> Certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. Those critical message should no be
> there, like not at all. Could be an issue with the gstreamer in
> opensuse 11.2 though.

OK, here is a log with export PHONON_GST_GST_DEBUG=8, much
abbreviated, so I hope it will not break the list's attachment limit.
That is a proud boast in
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Phonon
(under "Even more verbose output"), so I hope you can make it come true :-)

I have trimmed the log file mid way through the GStreamer-CRITICAL messages.

It certainly looks as though there is now a backward incompatibility between
Phonon and GStreamer 0.10.24.  The critical messages are all before my app
loads its first sound file and several seconds before it plays a sound.

OTOH it could be that the mechanism for connecting Phonon to Phonon-backend
to GStreamer does not work properly now unless you have a full KDE 4.6 desktop
running.  I am testing with an older version of the desktop, but the latest
kdelibs and qt-copy (post 4.6), which is a standard way to test KDE
applications and has been for a long time now.

> > I see no other evidence of a broken driver.  I do not use sound much,
> > but it works when I do.  I can play video clips and TV episodes OK and
> > CDs with Kaffeine or KsCD.  I do not use Amarok at all, though.
>
> Neither of them plays short sounds in quick succession.

But my next para said that KDE 4.3.5 Phonon does OK (with Xine), except
for footstep sounds, and gst123 and gst-launch both do OK with my (short)
sound files (such as gold.ogg or dig.ogg).

To that list I can now add "gst123 -r" which plays footstep files repeatedly
at about 4 per second (using GStreamer 0.10.24) and "audacity" which plays
them in a loop at about 30 per second.

The last (and only) time I can be certain I had the footsteps files working
consistently with Phonon was 4 July 2009, SVN rev 991088.  The files in
question are step.wav and climb.wav in SVN directory
kdegames/kgoldrunner/themes/default.

All the best, Ian W.