KGoldrunner still silenced in KDE 4.6

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:08:37 BST 2011

On Monday 25 April 2011 9:14:52 pm Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 04:53, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> >> Well, that just says I will receive no more automatic updates after May.
> >> Calling it end of life and legacy is like saying that graduating from
> >> University is end of life because you receive no more automatic updates
> >> to your education.
> >
> > Do you brush your teeth? ... I suppose you can see where that is going :P

Yes, and not just because my parents/teacher said so.  I understand the
process, the benefits it brings and the biology behind it ... and I know that
no other part of my body is endangered by it ... :-)

OTOH, going to OpenSuSE 11.4 entails upgrading to KMyMoney 4.5.2, which
could involve data-format conversions and possible loss of financial records,
with inability to read my backed-up records unless I revert to OpenSuSE 11.2.
I would rather not make that change when the end of our Australian financial
year is only two months away.

Even if all I ever did was develop KDE apps, there might still be trauma.
One time a SuSE install refused to recognise my bog-standard mouse
(made by Microsoft - it was all they had in the shop), leaving me with old
distro wiped out and new distro unusable.  Somehow, after hours of trial
and error I worked out the keystrokes to get into YaST and force it to install
mouse software.

Then in OpenSuSE 11.2 I wanted to take advantage of the much-touted
zooming desktop (or ZUI) and have something impressive to show the local
Linux Users' Group where I was about to give a talk on KDE.  It took days
of fiddling with a somewhat flaky version of Plasma to make it work.  I just
wonder whether KDE 4.6 will reproduce my setup or whether it will wipe
the existing setup and bust me back to square one.

> Or anyways, you lose security updates automatic or not. You'd have to
> keep track of hundreds of packages yourself, it doesn't seem
> realistic.

Oddly enough, whenever Firefox gets security updates I later get security
warnings from my bank about my unrecognised browser ... :-)  They recognise
only Windows and Mac versions.  Hilarious!  I know which one I believe!

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. Don't worry, Ian.  I *will* go to 11.4, but at a time of my choosing.
Your recommendation has given me confidence.