GSoC 2011 Idea

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Apr 5 20:21:59 BST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Trever Fischer
<tdfischer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:33:55 PM Pavel Punegov wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 04:22:12 Trever Fischer wrote:
>> > * 'MediaEncoder' is a silly name. Just shorten it to 'Encoder'. Tacking
>> > 'Media' onto the front of it doesn't serve any real purpose. We already
>> > know that phonon handles media, so connecting 'encoder' with the purpose
>> > of encoding media isn't a big mental leap.
>>
>> I haven't thought yet about names, and I suppose it's not very important
>> now. First i want to create generic description of what i will create
>> during GSoC.
> Fair enough. Just making sure you didn't have all this set in stone yet.

While I agree with Encoder being the better name, I am not sure it
would be appropriate in terms of consistent naming. We have MediaNodes
and MediaSources and MediaControllers and MediaObjects. Arguably those
are silly names as we also have classes with names such as Effect. So
I personally would think either way is fine.
BUT!
There are more classes going MediaFoo rather than Foo (excluding
classes with names that actual reflect that they are bound to a
specific type of media), so I would think MediaEncoder is more in line
with the existing naming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_responsibility_principle