Xine-backend doesn't work with PulseAudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 24 15:25:45 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 22/05/10 14:31 did gyre and gimble:
> Is there a way I can convince Phonon to play sound with the Xine-backend
> through PulseAudio?  There's no sound at all and systemsettings only
> lists a single device (CA0106 Soundblaster Analog Stereo).  I would have
> expected it to mention PulseAudio there, but it doesn't.

I believe what you see in System Settings *is* the device as dictated by
PulseAudio (the user is not generally exposed to PulseAudio but it does
work and powers the device listings and preferences etc).

The actual problem here is my fault.

I managed to break the default volume setting with Xine+PA in 4.4.1, but
it's fixed in git with this commit:
http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon/commit/b44f19d7038f7e6182db4d29aee39dab569193fd

You'll also probably want this one:
http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon/commit/1eb324f60f8df6bc7a866679919d79f1a2a3ff81

I'll try and push a new Phonon release to fix this sometime this week.

Cheers

Col

--

Colin Guthrie