Phonon + Volume Changes and feedback loops

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 28 22:09:19 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 27/03/10 21:43 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm working on integrating proper per-application volume controls
> provided by PulseAudio into Phonon.

[snip]

OK, I've played about with this now and I think the following commit
fixes things:
http://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon/commit/801c316c7afa324e99406d65451e9e5aebadb213

In practice I didn't need a counter as previously thought (that approach
actually introduced problems relating to several changes being bundled
up into a single notification).

The commit should allow async volume changes to still be protected and
also protects against the possibility of a volume change being initiated
externally. The code to do the latter is not yet ready to commit, but
this change is still theoretically needed IMO.

Any comments feel free to discuss, but I think I'm happy with this
approach. I'll implement something similar in amarok's volume slider
shortly.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie