Amarok + PulseAudio: volume control changes global volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jun 23 10:22:01 BST 2010

On 06/23/2010 11:30 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 21/06/10 21:49 did gyre and gimble:
>> When I change the volume in Amarok, it changes the global volume of the
>> whole system instead of just Amarok's volume.  Currently selected Phonon
>> backend doesn't matter.
>>
>> Gentoo AMD64
>> KDE 4.4.4
>> Phonon-kde 4.4.4
>> Phonon 4.4.2
>> PulseAudio 0.9.21.2
>> Amarok 2.3.1
>
> When you say it "changes the global volume" does this have a practical
> impact?

It means it changes the "Master" volume.  If I change volume in Amarok,
"Master" in alsamixer changes with it.  That means, changing volume in
Amarok will change my sound card's hardware mixer volume.

As for the practical impact, I'm sure I don't have to explain how grave
of an annoyance it is having Amarok's volume knob being tied directly to
ALSA's "master" hardware volume knob :)