Amarok + PulseAudio: volume control changes global volume

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Tue Jul 6 19:09:34 BST 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 15:21:46 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> That's a shame. Be warned that as time marches on, most users and thus
> most testing will end up using PA. The power savings (particularly
> important on mobile devices) and unification of audio settings are
> probably the primary reasons for doing this.

Sorry for being a tad bit off-topic, but where does the power saving come
from? IIRC, there was a mention of increasing the buffer sizes, but doesn't
that make much more sense to do in the drivers?

(And on my laptop, battery time actually went noticeably down when I used
pulseaudio, I don't know if it is because I set it up incorrectly or what, but
I usually lost like 10 minutes, which I've gotten back now.)

But I must admit that the lag-free audio over network was nice (after some
fiddling to get it to work correctly). :-)

--
Martin Sandsmark