Amarok + PulseAudio: volume control changes global volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Tue Jul 6 13:36:13 BST 2010

On 07/06/2010 11:38 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> [...]
> So what is this logic? Well, the general premise is that h/w volume
> control is favoured whenever possible.

Why?  As I mentioned in another post, lowering hardware volume results
in a reduction of bit-depth, and thus sound quality.  PA is free to mix
at a higher bit-depth than the hardware supports in order to avoid this,
but the hardware can't.

> So in short, what you are seeing is all expected behaviour in this
> scenario. Get yourself a PA enabled kmix and drink the kool aid and
> you'll never need to worry again :)
>
> If you really don't like this, disable flat-volumes as previously mentioned.

Actually my experiment with PA ended and thus I'm not using it any
longer.  It didn't provide anything new to me that I didn't have before,
but introduced new problems instead; there's no reason at all for me to
use it.  I hope you'll be able to solve any remaining issues with it
(mplayer with PA is something I simply cannot live with.)