Amarok + PulseAudio: volume control changes global volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Jul 5 21:16:31 BST 2010

On 07/05/2010 01:10 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi Nikos,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, real life getting in the way etc. etc. :p
>

> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 26/06/10 07:26 did gyre and gimble:
>> Here's what PA says when I change volume in Amarok (which also changes
>> "Master" in kmix and alsamixer):
>>
>> ------------
>> D: protocol-native.c: Client amarok changes volume of sink input audio
>> stream.
>> D: alsa-sink.c: Requested volume: 0:  51% 1:  51%
>> D: alsa-sink.c: Got hardware volume: 0:  51% 1:  51%
>> D: alsa-sink.c: Calculated software volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
>> (accurate-enough=yes)
>> I: module-stream-restore.c: Storing volume/mute/device for stream
>> sink-input-by-media-role:music.
>> ------------
>
> This is sadly very little to go on. I'd really need to see the output
> for both a volume increase and a volume decrease.

Here's when I decrease volume in Amarok:

------------
D: protocol-native.c: Client amarok changes volume of sink input Audio
Stream.
D: alsa-sink.c: Requested volume: 0:  44% 1:  44%
D: alsa-sink.c: Got hardware volume: 0:  44% 1:  44%
D: alsa-sink.c: Calculated software volume: 0:  99% 1:  99%
(accurate-enough=yes)
I: module-stream-restore.c: Storing volume/mute/device for stream
sink-input-by-media-role:music.
------------

And when I decrease volume in kmix:

------------
D: alsa-sink.c: Read hardware volume: 0:  51% 1:  51%
I: module-device-restore.c: Storing volume/mute/port for device
sink:alsa_output.pci-0000_05_02.0.analog-stereo.
------------

> [...]
>> I'm also attaching the output of "pacmd ls", "amixer -c0", "sudo lsof
>> /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*" and "getfacl /dev/snd/*" to this email.
>
> Thanks. The only strange thing in all that is that your user does not
> appear to be part of the ACL on the sound device nodes which suggests
> some kind of problem with your consolekit/udev setup.

I am not using ConsoleKit (I don't even have it installed.)

> I presume that in order to be allowed to open the audio devices, your
> user (realnc?) is a member of the audio group?

Yes.