Subtitle API

Tanguy Krotoff tkrotoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 08:57:56 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> mplayer is such a strange backend since it uses IPC not a library, I'm
> not sure if we should take much stock in what works with it. Having
> setSubtitleEncoding separate supports the use case of a user changing
> the encoding from a menu item after loading the subtitle, which seems
> reasonable.

You can have a "change encoding" menu item and still use
setSubtitleFile(file, encoding) :)

Don't stop on the IPC thing (we all know phonon-mplayer won't be the
best backend due to the nature of MPlayer). The schema is not MPlayer
specific, it simply shows a way to use Phonon subtitle API. From what
I've checked, current phonon-vlc still manages subtitles the same way
phonon-mplayer does.
Without clarifications each backend will use (and I guess currently
use) the API in a different way making them incompatible.

How are subtitles handled inside the other backends? I'm interested to
see how they manage to disable subtitles and how they do the
difference between a DVD subtiltle and a file subtitle.
Also SubtitleDescription is just a key/value thing, it does not say
how to name the keys.

--
Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com>
+33 6 68 42 70 24