KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 15:34:56 GMT 2010

On 12/01/2010 12:12 PM, Ian Monroe wrote:

> The problem with this list is that 'multimedia framework' it isn't
> really a need, its a component. And it actually encompasses all the
> needs.

Agreed. Use cases are what really matter I think.

> Anyways I'm not really sure what use this thread can have.

I think it can helps us identify what is missing in KDE as far as
multimedia is concerned, and how to address it. For example: if we
identify that what we really need is just basic audio and video capture,
and this is already in Phonon experimental, then it is an incentive to
find people to hack on it "with a plan".

One example is the audio needs for games I outlined in my previous
email: people have tried to address it for a couple of years. I think it
is not easily solvable inside Phonon or QtGStreamer, and solving it with
OpenAL as it is being attempted is probably not the best way as well.
Someone mentioned to me once that it was better to write a simple class
that talked to PulseAudio directly to play samples in this way, but
maybe it can be a Phonon "tracker" class that uses a direct connection
to the backends, who knows (I am speculating here). So having a list of
needs is valuable, otherwise every module (games, edu...) will try to
solve it differently. The multimedia team could handle this better imo
from a central place but I think it is not aware of the needs from
application authors.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini