KDE Sound and Multimedia Plan

Arnold Krille kde at arnoldarts.de
Wed Dec 1 09:01:38 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 01:11:18 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> This is my list of needs:
> 2-Low latency easy concurrency
>      The time between the "play" function in our application and when
> the sound actually play is important for a lot of applications (KNotify
> for instance), we need to ensure the lower latency possible. Also we
> need to provide an easy way to play more than one sound in parallel
> (KNotify as app example again).

No, neither knotify nor multimedia players nor games or webcam-apps need low-
latency.

Of course they need a rather short time between api-call and actual playing.
But low-latency is the stuff where the time from soundcard_in-
>processing_in_cpu->soundcard_out takes less then 10ms. If you really need
this, use jack (www.jackaudio.org) natively and drop any layers between.

What you need is a framework that plays files/media, regardless whether its
wav, mp3, ogg, flac, mp4, avi, wmv or flv. You also want easy access to webcam
and soundcard io to allow for phonon to be used in more cases then media
players.
But all that doesn't need latencies of 10ms or less. It will all be perfectly
well with latencies of 100ms. And you gain a lot in simplicity when you don't
have to deal with low-latency...

Have fun,

Arnold